This post may contain affiliate links to products I recommend. I receive a small commission at no cost to you if you make a purchase using my link.
Nutella milkshakes are rich, creamy, and super quick to make. With just three simple ingredients, this easy Nutella milkshake recipe makes the perfect chocolate hazelnut treat for any Nutella lover!
I’ve always been a fan of chocolate milkshakes, but there is something about the combination of chocolate and hazelnut that really takes a plain milkshake and turns it into something really special.
Ever since my first taste of Nutella as a child, I’ve been a huge fan, so a jar of Nutella has been a pantry staple in our house ever since.
These creamy milkshakes are everything young Natalie could have dreamed of – delicious Nutella flavour in a cool creamy milkshake.
They’re also everything that adult Natalie loves, too – an easy treat made with minimal ingredients in under five minutes!
Scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and printable Nutella milkshake recipe, or keep reading for ingredient tips and process photos.
Nutella – You can use Nutella or any other similar chocolate hazelnut spread in this recipe.
Ice Cream – I have used vanilla ice cream, but you can use any complementary flavoured ice cream that you like. Chocolate, hazelnut (or chocolate and hazelnut) ice cream would be perfect. If you use chocolate ice cream, you may want to use a little less Nutella in the milkshake, as you will already have that chocolate flavour as a base. But for pure Nutella flavour, vanilla ice cream is my pick.
Milk – Use any milk you like in this recipe. I used whole milk (full-fat milk here in NZ), but you can use skim milk, lactose free milk or a non-dairy milk (but keep in mind Nutella contains milk, so the milkshake won’t be dairy free unless you make some extra changes – see below.)
Chopped hazelnuts – This is optional, I used the hazelnuts to add a decorative rim to the milkshake glasses, but this is not essential to the recipe and you can skip it if you like. I use unroasted hazelnuts with the skins on, but you can use roasted and skinned hazelnuts if you prefer.
Dairy Free Nutella Milkshake
Because Nutella contains milk, if you want to make this dairy free you will need to use a dairy-free chocolate hazelnut spread. There are dairy free options available, but they will vary depending on where you live. You could also use a homemade hazelnut chocolate spread and make sure you use a dairy-free chocolate when you make it.
You’ll also need to use a dairy-free milk alternative like almond milk soy milk or oat milk (if you’re not gluten free), and dairy-free ice cream.
It’s best to make this recipe with a blender, for the creamiest result. You can use either a regular blender, a handheld immersion blender or a ninja blender – whatever you have. If you have a milkshake maker, even better!
How to Make a Nutella Milkshake
Like most milkshakes, Nutella milkshakes are really easy to make.
I dressed these shakes up a little with Nutella-rimmed glasses, but you can skip past these first four steps if you want to.
To decorate the glasses, slightly soften 2 tablespoons of Nutella in the microwave (10-20 seconds). You don’t want it runny, just slightly softer.
Spread the Nutella onto a small plate, in a circle that is slightly bigger than the top of your glass.
Dip the rim of the glass into the Nutella, moving it around slightly to cover all of the rim.
Spread the chopped hazelnuts onto another small plate.
Dip the glass into the hazelnuts, making sure all of the Nutella is covered in the nuts.
Repeat for the second glass, then pop the glasses into the fridge to chill while you make the milkshake.
Place the ice cream and milk into a blender jug, then add the Nutella on top.
Blend until creamy and smooth. If you get Nutella stuck to the sides of the blender, pause it and scrape down the sides with a spatula.
Pour the milkshake into the chilled glasses, and enjoy!
Nutella Milkshake Tips
- Make sure you add the Nutella to the blender last – this makes it less likely for it to end up stuck to the bottom of the blender, and not mixed into the milkshake.
- Adjust the amount of Nutella to your own liking – I like a strong flavour, but you can reduce it for a lighter chocolate hazelnut flavour.
- For a thinner milkshake, add a splash more milk.
- For a thicker milkshake, use less milk, add another scoop of ice cream, or a splash of heavy cream.
- If you don’t want to dip the glass rims with hazelnuts, like I did, you can just spread or drizzle the extra Nutella around the inside of the glasses.
- Nutella Banana Milkshake – Add one large or two smaller bananas. If you have frozen bananas, that’s even better.
- Coffee Nutella Milkshake – Add some cold coffee in place of some of the milk, or use a teaspoon of instant coffee dissolved in a splash of boiling water. Leave to cool to room temperature before using in the milkshake. Or just add a couple of tablespoons of Nutella to these Coffee Milkshakes!
- Peanut Butter and Nutella Milkshake – Reduce the Nutella to 1/3 or 1/4 cup, and add 1/4 cup of creamy peanut butter.
- Topping Ideas – Top with whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles, crushed Ferrero Rocher chocolates. You could also drizzle with chocolate syrup or chocolate sauce, or more Nutella, of course.
More Recipes You May Like
- 5 large scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ½ cup Nutella
For decorating the glasses (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Nutella extra
- ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts (about 25g)
Decorate the glasses
- Soften the 2 tablespoons of Nutella in the microwave for 10-20 seconds. Spread it onto a small flat plate, in a circle slightly larger than the top of your milkshake glasses.
- Dip the rim of each glass into the Nutella.
- Place the chopped hazelnuts onto another small plate. Dip the glasses into the hazelnuts, moving them around gently to cover the Nutella.
- Pop the glasses into the fridge to chill while you make the milkshakes.(You can scrape up the remaining Nutella from the plate and use that as part of the Nutella for the milkshake.)
- Add the ice cream and milk to the jug of a blender. Spoon the Nutella on top.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into the chilled glasses, and serve.
- 1 Blender or handheld immersion blender + jug
- 2 tall milkshake glasses
Nutritional Disclaimer: Any nutritional information provided is a computer generated estimate and is intended as a guide only.